Apply to be a FGFQ Leader!
We are recruiting a team of positive, committed and charismatic first-generation student leaders for the First Generation First Quarter Challenge (FGFQ) program, which provides mentorship and support for incoming first-generation Social Sciences freshmen and transfer students in order to facilitate their successful transition to university. We encourage applicants from underrepresented communities and graduates of previous FGFQ cohorts to apply.
All applicants must complete the FGFQ student leader application, attaching their résumé or CV and a one page statement describing why they wish to work as an FGFQ student leader or administrative intern and the personal qualities as well as academic preparation and/or volunteer/paid work experience that make them a strong candidate for the position. Please note: interviews taking place Spring 2022 will be virtual using Zoom.
Administrative Intern Responsibilities (1 position available)
- Assist with management and scheduling of weekly workshops, event planning, marketing, recruitment, and organization of schedules for the program
- Prepare communications, such as memos, emails, reports and other correspondence between student participants, mentors, and FGFQ team
- Maintain and update data tracking system to evaluate completion of program goals, and assessment of student needs
- Participate in training during spring and summer , as well as ongoing training and team development throughout the year
- Collaborate with graduate student interns on conducting assessments of the program and planning large-scale events
FGFQ Mentor Responsibilities (6 positions available)
- Develop and present weekly workshops throughout fall 2022 to incoming first-generation first year and transfer students in the School of Social Sciences about a variety of topics including campus resources, understanding university culture, building relationships with faculty, academic success strategies, stress management, financial planning, and goal setting
- Provide mentorship to 20-25 incoming first-generation first year and transfer students in the School of Social Sciences; guide, motivate, and support students during scheduled one-on-one meetings throughout winter and spring 2023
- Collaborate with FGFQ team to plan and host events that build community among first-generation Social Sciences undergraduate students, faculty, and staff
- Participate in training during spring and summer, as well as ongoing training and team development throughout the year
Hours and Compensation
- Receive hourly wage
- 8-10 hours weekly commitment in Fall 2022
- Limited working hours in Winter and Spring 2023
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Entering into 3rd, 4th, or 5th year
- Open to Social Sciences majors only
- Leaders must be "first in the family" to attend university
- Demonstrate knowledge of campus resources
- Record of positive campus engagement at UCI
Applications are now currently open! Due Sunday, April 10th at 11:59pm.